Do you own a home? Protect your largest financial investment! Homeowners insurance coverage provides protection against loss due to natural disasters, theft, and/or accidents. This may include damage from fire and smoke, lightning, hail, wind, and vandalism.

In the state of Texas, a typical and basic homeowner’s policy will include liability and medical payments coverage to others. There are other options you can add-on to your policy, too.

Additional Homeowners Insurance Coverage Options

Covers the physical structure and foundation of the home, including the walls and roof. It also covers the home in case it needs to be repaired or rebuilt if damaged by a covered cause of loss. For example, the coverage may include repairing or rebuilding the plumbing, electrical wiring, and/or heating and air conditioning units.

Covers costs to repair or replace damage to structures located on your property, but detached from your home, such as a garage, fence, shed, or cottage.

In the event of a covered loss, your home may be damaged or destroyed. Your personal property and belongings would need to be replaced, and this covers personal property such as furniture, appliances, clothing, electronics, toys and sporting goods.

Protects your assets and covers defense costs in the event of a lawsuit as a result of you or your family members being responsible for causing damage or injury to other people or their property.

Covers additional housing and living expenses in the event you must move out of your home temporarily. For example, while the home is being restored, renovated, or repaired.

Water vs. Flood Damage:

Important information you should know! There is a common misconception regarding flood and water damage. A typical homeowners or renters insurance policy covers water damage, but DOES NOT cover flood damage. In order to be covered if your home or apartment floods, you need to separately purchase flood insurance.

Water damage occurs when water damages your home BEFORE the water comes in contact with the ground. For example, during a heavy rainstorm, water leaks in through your home’s roof and causes damage to your ceiling, walls, and/or furniture. Another example is if one of your appliances break, such as a refrigerator, dishwasher, or washing machine, which causes water to leak and damages your floor. Please note that generally, any damage caused by water that has been on the ground at some point before the damage is considered flood damage.

By definition, a flood is the rising or overflowing of a body of water onto what is normally dry land. Examples include if a nearby lake or river overflows and causes a flash flood that damages your home, or a storm or sewer drain gets backed up and causes water to enter your home’s first or ground floor. Flood damage to your home or apartment is only able to be insured through a flood insurance policy. It is NOT included in a typical homeowners or renters insurance policy. Generally, any damage caused by water that has been on the ground at some point before the damage is considered flood damage.

Mobile / Manufactured Homeowners Insurance:

Do you have a mobile or manufactured home? Mobile home insurance provides coverage for damages to your mobile or manufactured home as a result of fire, hail, theft, or vandalism. With a mobile home policy, you will be covered for the structure of your mobile or manufactured home, your personal property, and/or liability coverage. Mobile home coverages are the same as homeowners insurance coverages.

For more information, visit an office near you or call us today at 833-438-2572!

Subscribe for Alpa Updates

Enter your email to receive great updates, news, events, and more!