Renters insurance is a requirement for many apartments or rental homes in the State of Texas by landlords, apartment complexes and/or management companies. Renters insurance provides coverage for lost or damaged possessions as a result of fire, theft, or vandalism. Renters insurance policies can also cover the costs associated with injuries sustained by someone who got hurt inside your apartment or rental home.

It’s important to properly calculate the value of all your personal belongings before choosing limits on your renter’s insurance policy. Alpa Insurance recommends you to make an inventory of your personal belongings and keep this information in a safe place, such as a fireproof safe, safety deposit box outside the home, or on a file in the cloud. In the event you have to make a claim, it will be much easier to already have a list of the items that are now missing or damaged.

Important information you should know! There is a common misconception regarding flood and water damage. A typical homeowners or renters insurance policy covers water damage, but DOES NOT cover flood damage. In order to be covered if your home or apartment floods, you need to separately purchase flood insurance.

Water damage occurs when water damages your home BEFORE the water comes in contact with the ground. For example, during a heavy rainstorm, water leaks in through your home’s roof and causes damage to your ceiling, walls, and/or furniture. Another example is if one of your appliances break, such as a refrigerator, dishwasher, or washing machine, which causes water to leak and damages your floor. Please note that generally, any damage caused by water that has been on the ground at some point before the damage is considered flood damage.

By definition, a flood is the rising or overflowing of a body of water onto what is normally dry land. Examples include if a nearby lake or river overflows and causes a flash flood that damages your home, or a storm or sewer drain gets backed up and causes water to enter your home’s first or ground floor. Flood damage to your home or apartment is only able to be insured through a flood insurance policy. It is NOT included in a typical homeowners or renters insurance policy. Generally, any damage caused by water that has been on the ground at some point before the damage is considered flood damage.

For more information, visit an office near you or call us today at 833-438-2572!

Subscribe for Alpa Updates

Enter your email to receive great updates, news, events, and more!